The Fall 2017 semester is fully under way, and our Humanities Alliance Graduate Teaching Fellows are blogging about their experiences in the classroom!
Check out the following posts from our first year fellows:
- Chaya R. Nove considers how our cultural attitudes and linguistic ideologies shape learning about linguistics in Confronting Language Attitudes in Introduction to Linguistics
- Kahdeidra Monét Martin reflects on the first day of teaching composition in a linguisticially and culturally diverse classroom in Apples, Peaches, and Mangoes: Unpacking Language and Identity in Composition I
- Alison Walls reflects on differences of teaching and learning in the U.S. college and New Zealand university systems, and opens up about her love of acting, teaching theatre, and her path to doctoral study in A little introduction
Our second year fellows continue to reflect on their pedagogy and teaching at LaGuardia:
- Rojo Robles recounts a unit on poetry and diaspora in his Spring 2017 Latin American Literature course, and shares a guest post from poet and bookmaker, Yarisa Colón in Diálogo entre poeta y estudiantes (en Español)
- Emily Brooks reflects on the opportunities and challenges of planning a writing-intensive course in Updating My Syllabus for a New Semester
The Alliance’s Director of Programs and Administration, Kaysi Holman, held a fantastic workshop on writing the academic cover letter and CV. Take a look at CV and Cover Letter Peer Review Exercise for her recap of the workshop and notes on the exercises she used.
Our next professional development workshop will take place on Friday, October 6. We can’t wait to hear more from the fellows about their teaching and learning experiences as they shadow faculty mentors at LaGuardia!
- October 4: Inspiring Radical Creativity: A Keynote Address by Young Adult novelist and Latinx, Marvel comic book writer, Gabby Rivera, LaGuardia CC, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m., Room E-242
- October 11: Joe Conzo, Born in the Bronx: Hispanic Heritage Celebration Event, 10:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., LaGuardia CC, Little Theater – Shenker Hall (M Building)
- October 13: Latinx Heritage Month Closing: Mini Film Fest, 1:00 – 4:00 p.m., LaGuardia CC, Room C-103
- October 20: Humanities Alliance workshop: Community College Faculty Job Application Process, 3:30 – 5:00 p.m., The Graduate Center, Room 3317
For other events this semester and more info, visit our Events calendar!