- Emily Brooks discusses what inspired her to move away from teaching with a textbook and how she guides students through scholarly reading in her post on Approaches to Teaching with Challenging Texts
- Jacob Sachs Mishalanie considers his path to music, critical thinking, and teaching with technology in Thoughts on Teaching Humanness Through Music Technology – complete with an animated gif explaining the basics of digital audio!
- Micheal Rumore reflects on his years of schooling and education, and the importance of critical pedagogy in transforming the humanities classroom into a democratic space in On the “Romance” of the Humanities
- J Polish reflects on universal design for learning and what we assume when we deem something “low-stakes” in Consent-Based Pedagogy and “Low-Stakes” Assignments (a cross-post from the Designing for All (DfA) project coordinated with LaGuardia CC’s Center for Teaching and Learning.
- Patryk Tomaszewski discusses the critical importance of engaging with contemporary issues and their complexities in Learning and Teaching in Fear
The Alliance also held a workshop on “The Community College Faculty Job Application Process” on October 20, 2017. Former Humanities Alliance faculty mentors, Professor Emmanuel Nartey (Philosophy, LaGuardia) and Professor Demetri Kapetanakos (English, LaGuardia), presented their experiences with this process, discussed the difference between applying to community colleges and four-year colleges, provided advice to applicants, and answered questions.